Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How will i know if my step father left anything for me after…

Customer Question
How will i know...

How will i know if my step father left anything for me after he passed away since his sister he made the excecutor of his trust and she will not talk to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Nothing my step dad passed away fast and for me to talk to him about any off this when he was sick i did not want to ask him anything about it my heart was so broken he just told me that he has his sister as the executor of the trust. I just didnt feal right talking about it i just dont think that was a good time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Now his sister will not talk to me and i have no idea why it is just her and my sister and brother left we have a very small family she won't call my sister brother or i back when we have left her a message

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/9/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If this is a trust it has a trustee.. a Will has an Executor and goes through probate court to be settled. A trust is completely confidential and doesn't go through probate.

.

But legally if you are a beneficiary of the trust, you can send a certified letter to the trustee and she has to give you a copy of the trust.. If she refuses or ignores you, you will have to file a formal lawsuit against her in probate court to have a judge review the trust in his chambers to see if you are actually a beneficiary and should get a copy.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much