Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Two homes on one property. Mother passed. Brother is sole…

Two homes on one property...
Two homes on one property. Mother passed. Brother is sole trustee. Had me evictiedfrom one house . Before the writ was served I had moved to second home. Six months latter he had sheriff remove from the property. Question is, does the writ cover the whole property or just the address that is on the papers. The houses have different addresses,mail boxes.
3/9/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Question is, does the writ cover the whole property or just the address that is on the papers. The houses have different addresses,mail boxes.

,

Nope, if there are two different houses with two different legal addresses, then the eviction action will only cover that specific address it was filed on.

.

The trustee will have to file another completely separate eviction action on the second address in order to force you to vacate that property.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a code number or law I can read up on? Thank you.

It is just under the normal landlord/laws for your state. There isn't a law that says "If there are two houses on a property and tenant is evicted from one and moves into another.... "" the law just isn't that specific. But it is clear that any writ of possession issued to evict a tenant is only good for the listed address..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks guy

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

Barrister, Attorney