Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father is not doing well, are we better selling his house…

My father is not...

My father is not doing well, are we better selling his house before he passes or after he passes away? Or quick claim deed to my sister and I as we have full POA as my father can not sign any legal documents for judgement and health reasons. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We have a signed and notarized POA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time, thanks

3/9/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. Can you provide me a bit more information? What is the value of the house? How much did he pay for the house? Thanks.

$1.400,000$450,00 owed on reverse mortgage$600,000 purchase price
$450,000.should be reverse mortgage owed
unable to use phone at this time

Thanks for following up. And, no worries about the phone...JustAnswer generates those calls without input from experts. We have no control and you certainly don't need the call.

Wait until death. If you sell before death, there is a $800,000 gain (of which he could exclude up to $250,000 from the sale of a primary residence under Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code). BUT, if you wait until death, the basis gets adjusted to the fair market value of the property so there would be no gain on the sale and thus no tax. :)

thank you

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Attorney