Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Need to speak with a Cal will estate lawyer? Cal. A trust…

Need to speak with...

Need to speak with a Cal will estate lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Cal

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, a trust was filed in NV in 2009. No assets were placed into the trust

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my mom is ill and her husband is divorcing her. She has a 2009 living Trust that was never funded. She now lives in CAL and would like to know if she can write a will to will her 1/2 of Communit Property to her children. I have an email copie of the orginal trust that was filed in NV

3/8/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
I am sorry to hear this. In order for a trust to be effective it needs to be funded. It is possible to do so after the trust is formed by including the property on the Schedule of Assets and also titling the property in the name of the trust (versus individual).Alternatively another option is to establish a will. A person can address their half of community property and all of their separate property in the will and bequest it to any person they choose.It is best to have an attorney draft it to ensure it is executed properly.
ok, where is my lawyer. I am ready
I'm sorry as I am not currently set up for phone calls so your question has been placed in that queue and you should be receiving a call from a different professional.
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
thanks
Hi, do you know approx how much longer before I can speak to a Lawyer?