Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My stepdaughter is refusing to provide my son a copy of his…

My stepdaughter is refusing...

My stepdaughter is refusing to provide my son a copy of his father's will of which he is a beneficiary - their dad lived in wisconsin, the daughter minnesota and my son in Georgia. How does he get a copy of the will.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

No document, she has them all. She won't even provide death certificate.

3/8/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Has the will been filed in the county court where your father resided at the time of his passing? Can you tell me the county?

No it hasn't. It's St. Croix County

Has the will been filed in the county court where his father resided at the time of his passing? Can you tell me the county?

St Croix County WI?

though he was in hospice in Minnesota when he died. But his property is in Hudson, WI which is St. Croix County

Thank you for the clarification.

Your son can file a petition with the court to demand that the will be admitted to probate.

I can also provide a link for attorneys in that area that provide FREE consultations that can handle this matter on behalf of your son.

That would be wonderful, please do.

This is the link to contact the Probate court

https://www.sccwi.gov/379/Register-in-Probate

Please give me a few moments to provide Free consultation Attorneys in that area.

I am sorry that your son is going through this situation.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Thank you so much, it's just so frustrating. He doesn't have anything to fight over except a life insurance policy. Yes, and I rated you a 5!!!!

The life insurance policy may name the beneficiaries on the policy itself. That means that the proceeds would pass directly to the named beneficiaries outside of probate.