Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

MY FATHER HAS RECENTLY BEEN ILL AND DOES NOT HAVE A TRUST OR…

MY FATHER HAS RECENTLY...

MY FATHER HAS RECENTLY BEEN ILL AND DOES NOT HAVE A TRUST OR FINANCIAL POWER OF ATTORNEY. HE LIVES 600 MILES AWAY FROM ME AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS LONG DISTANCE. SHOULD I HIRE AN ATTORNEY IN HIS HOMETOWN OR MINE TO GET A TRUST SET UP

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CALIFORNIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

HE HAS DEMENTIA AND IS IN ASSISTED LIVING, HE HAS A SAVINGS AND A PENSION AND OWNS A HOME WHICH HE HAS AGREED TO SELL TO HELP PAY FOR HIS CARE.

3/8/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

It is probably best to retain an attorney local to your father since he may need to speak to your father and deal with assets in the county where your father lives.

.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you. Do you know how long it normally takes to set up a trust

It does not take very long. It really depends on the complexity of the estate and the types of assets which need to be transferred to fund the trust.

It can take anywhere from a week to several months.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Loren, Attorney