Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My adult son’s father was a very successful veterinarian who…

My adult son’s father...

My adult son’s father was a very successful veterinarian who remarried several years ago. He recently passed away. We do not have any information on what legal steps were taken regarding ownership of his veterinary hospital. His wife sent my son legal documents covering a small piece of real estate left to my son but has never offered any other information about ownership of the practice. All we know is that only a licensed veterinarian can own a veterinary hospital. My son has a good relationship with her but we can’t understand why she would not include him in this portion of an inheritance as he is the only child. The practice is worth several million dollars and would help him a great deal as I have terminal cancer and he has devoted the last 3 years to caring for me rather than preparing for his own wellbeing. Any advice would be deeply valued.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Practice is in California. We live in Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We were sent a notification of a living trust which provides for some revenue from the property mentioned in my message (it is a parking lot). Only other distribution is the following: The trustee shall distribute the residue of the trust estate to the Schwartz Family Veterinary Scholorship and Animal Welfare Foundation for the uses and purposes as may be determined by the Foundation. There is a statement re trust documents: You are entitled to receive from the trustee a complete copy of the terms of the irrevocable portions of the Morton B Schwartz living trust. If you would like a copy please mail the attached ..... They provide 60 days fromdelivery of message. Do we have any recourse... I don’t want to spoil the relationship but can’t provide much for my son and it breaks my heart to think he has shared a loving connection with his dad all his life, and is left out of the picture almost totally.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No my son is here and will help me respond..thank you

3/8/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your questions. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

First, your son is entitled to a copy of the Trust as well as an accounting of the trust. The accounting is important because it will state all of the assets in the trust and what is happening to those assets. That is a really good starting point.

The next step is you may want to contact the clerk's office in the County in which he died and see if an estate has been initiated. If one has then you will want to request a copy of the Will and an Inventory of the estate.

My guess is all of the assets are in the trust and therefore you need more information about the administration of the trust.

Are you positive that the father did not sell his practice before death?

I don’t know how they handled the hospital ownership and we were too broken up to ask. We were called to his bedside in the middle of the night July 6. We got to California just in time to say goodbye. We are both still grieving deeply. His wife is a wonderful woman who added a lot to his life and we care about her a great deal. That is why we are so hesitant to ask questions. Early on she had said something about her having part ownership but I never asked...out of respect and all she was going through. She stays in touch with my son and I know she loves him. I don’t want to cause negative feelings but am so worried about his future. I just want him to know his legal options...any advice would help so much.
Jessica, we are going to act on your advice and when we have all the information will reach back to you. Would you like to provide a phone number now or if not a way to reach you?

I completely understand. I lost my father to cancer 5 years ago and I felt the same way about my step-mother. The best thing to do is start by calling the clerk's office because no one will know you did that and therefore you will not be stepping on anyone's toes.

Jessica B

You may also contact the lawyer's office and ask for copies. This should not be a problem and no one should be offended by that.

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

Was this information helpful?