Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am leaving on a trip with my husband for a week and leave…

I am leaving on...

I am leaving on a trip with my husband for a week and leave my daughter behind with her step brother and her wife What do I need as a documents

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not have a will and wanted to do something quick

3/8/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed Florida attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

First, you definitely need a Last Will & Testament. In it you will want to state who should be appointed the guardian of your daughter in case something happens to you. I also highly recommend executing a Durable Power of Attorney (this handles financial matters) and a Health Care Power of Attorney (this handles medical decisions). You also need a Living Will. Do not confuse it with a Last Will & Testament. A Living Will states you do not want to be artificially kept alive.

You can either have a Florida attorney prepare the documents on your behalf or you may do them yourself. You can buy the forms at Staples or Office Depot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is a last will?
I do not have much time I am leaving tomorrow - I thought of doing it online

A Last Will & Testament will provide all of the essential details of who will inherit your property when you die, when and how they will inherit it, and who will be put in charge of settling your final affairs.

Your Last Will & Testament will cover five important points:

1. Who will serve as the Personal Representative/Executor, meaning the person who will be in charge of settling your final affairs and ensuring that your beneficiaries will receive their inheritance;
  2. What powers your Personal Representative/Executor will have;
  3. Who will inherit your property; and
  4. How and when your property will ultimately be transferred to your beneficiaries.
  5. Who will serve as the Guardian for your minor children until they become adults.

You can get it done today by going to www.legalzoom.com. You can complete the documents online and then print them. You will then need to go to a Notary Public to execute them. That can be done at a UPS Store.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no chat is ok for me

Please let me know if you have an additional question or if you need any clarification of the information provided. Thank you!

No problem!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Much appreciated!

Thank you so much! Please remember to rate my service!

jb156200
jb156200, Attorney
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney