Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom passed away and left a will with me,one of her 3

My mom passed away...

My mom passed away and left a will with me,one of her 3 children as the excutor. She had 3 pie es of real properties. She gave one property to each of us. We the heirs decidec to sell these properties and divide the net proceeds evenly into 3 for each of us. Is tnis allowed legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Signed and notarized will. All the properties are paid off. Almost no debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All of us agree to do this.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

If the will leaves each child with a property, then each child can sell or keep the property, and if sells retains the proceeds. If the children separately agree to divide the proceeds from each sale, that is fine, but should be confirmed by the children in a written agreement signed by the children, and preferably notarized.

Should the property titled be transfered to the respective receiver before the sell or can the excutor sell them with title still under my mom

The property should pass to the beneficiary child. Then each child sells his/her property

Do we have to go through probate court just simply carry out her will as stated?

will would be probated first!

Kindly rate me 5 stars once for the various answers.

Thank you
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Attorney