Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husbands Uncle died with no will in Colorado. We are

Second opinion] My husbands Uncle...
Second opinion] My husbands Uncle died with no will in Colorado. We are trying to figure out if he is entitled to any of the estate. I do not know the successionJA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: ColoradoJA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?Customer: He died with NO documentsJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: His Uncle who died is his blood fathers Blood Brother. Perry the uncle who died did not ever marry or have children. His brother died 55 years ago. (my husbands father) The only living relatives are two adopted siblings and my husband. Is he entitled to any of the estate?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If the uncle passed without any spouse or children, then his estate passes up to his parents if living. If they are not living, then the estate goes out to his sibling, or their heirs, which would be his nieces and nephews if all his siblings are deceased as well.

.

So if you are saying that there are adopted siblings of uncle who are living, then each adopted sibling should receive 1/3 and your husband should step into his father's shoes to inherit his father's 1/3 of his brother's estate.

.

.

thanks

If I’m getting your response correctly then even though my husbands dad is dead also but a brood brother of the doc eased he could possibly inherit through his dead father who was the brother?

If there was the uncle who died..... and there was your husband's father (uncle's brother) and two other adopted siblings.. for a total of 4 siblings.. And uncle passed with no wife or children and his parents are deceased... then the two living adopted siblings get 1/3 each and husband's father's estate gets 1/3.

.

So if husband is the only heir to his father's estate, he should get that 1/3...

Barrister, Attorney