Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husbands Uncle died with no will in Colorado. We are

My husbands Uncle died...

My husbands Uncle died with no will in Colorado. We are trying to figure out if he is entitled to any of the estate. I do not know the succession

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

He died with NO documents

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His Uncle who died is his blood fathers Blood Brother. Perry the uncle who died did not ever marry or have children. His brother died 55 years ago. (my husbands father) The only living relatives are two adopted siblings and my husband. Is he entitled to any of the estate?

3/7/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Who Gets What in Colorado?

Under intestate succession, who gets what depends on whether or not you have living children, parents, or other close relatives when you die. Here’s a quick overview:

If you die with:here’s what happens:

• children but no spouse
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no descendants
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and descendants from you and that spouse, and the spouse has no other descendants
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and descendants from you and that spouse, and the spouse has descendants from another relationship
  • spouse inherits the first $150,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • your descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and adult descendants from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits the first $100,000 of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and at least one minor descendant from you and someone other than that spouse
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and parents
  • spouse inherits the first $200,000 of your intestate property, plus 3/4 of the balance
  • parents inherit remaining intestate property
  • parents but no spouse or descendants
  • parents inherit everything
  • siblings but no spouse, descendants, or parents
  • siblings inherit everything

So here if no spouse, children or parents it goes to his brothers , sisters, if he he is nearest living relative he may well have an interest under Caoloardo law.Once somebody open probate the judge applying these laws names the legal heirs and their shares in probate.

If the estate has been opened make sure estate lawyer has his contact information here.He may well be an heir.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is so much appreciated,Thanks again.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney