Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother and I share a bank account. And several years ago…

Customer Question
Hello. My mother and...

Hello. My mother and I share a bank account. And several years ago (5) she put the money she received from selling her home into this shared account.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

She wants me to move it into an account of my own as she is getting quite ill and doesn't want some others to try and take it FL

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

There is a Power of Attorney that was created in 1991 that makes me the sole administrator. She also signed another one just in case this week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. thanks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you hVe a recommendation?
Can you assist? there has been no response yet

Sorry about that. My computer crashed, but I am back.

You do not need to move the money if it is in a joint account. When a joint account owner dies, the account automatically goes to the surviving owner.

In other words, you already have the money.

Are you still online with me?

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.