Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My parents want to transfer the deed to their property to my…

My parents want to transfer...
My parents want to transfer the deed to their property to my brother and I. What are the steps that we need to do this? The property has been paid for and there are no leans against it.
3/6/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

No problem.

Good afternoon. They would do this by signing a Quit Claim Deed transferring an undivided 1/2 interest in the property to each you and your brother. They would each need to sign this Deed, have it witnessed and notarized, and then record it in the real property records of the city/county where the property is located. That's it! :) Let me know if you need a form for the Quit Claim Deed.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
I need a quick deed for. Thank you for helping.

You're very welcome. I have attached the form for you. :)

FYI... I completed this doc and took it to our courthouse. It had issues. The previous deeds must be listed and it has to have legal paper and 1 1/2 top margins and specific borders or a fee was charged. It also has to have the tax billing address.

The deed is a "template" from which to start. Each county has special rules, including font size and margins.

I did not know this but found out.

Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I can only provide templates; I can't prepare the deed for your specific facts. I'm sorry!

Maybe add the required notes so we can compete them a little better the next time. I appreciate your help and the attorneys helped me to fix the missing items and names.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions. I'll do that.

Richard, Attorney