Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father past away in Puerto Rico this year. A home

Customer Question
Hi my father past...

Hi my father past away in Puerto Rico this year. A home purchase with his ex-wife was purchase. Now his ex-wife is asking for my birth certificate to make a declarer of Inheritance. My question is how can I protect my birth certificate and my identity when I can not take my document In person?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TOWN IS BAYAMON PUERTO RICO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I did not filed but she is filing due to an insurance check she needs to cash.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are three daughters from a prior marriage and one son from his second marriage, the son and ex wife are living in the house in Puerto Rico

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

So, this is sounding pretty fishy to me... I don't see any good reason why you'd hand over your birth certificate to this woman.

Can I call tomorrow

Of course. Is there anything else I can answer for you now?