Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My aunt died and left my sister (executor) and me her only…

My aunt died and...

My aunt died and left my sister (executor) and me her only assets, which were 2 life insurance policies. The Met Life policy went to my sister and the Prudential policy to me. In the course of owning both policies, my aunt bought shares of each company with the excess $$ after the policies were paid up. My sister received the policy amount from Met Life and was awarded all the shares included. I received the policy amount, but Prudential said the shares were to go to all her heirs. The will was never probated since it was such a small amount. But I feel my inheritance has been hijacked by Prudential. Have I any recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from state to state, can you tell me where the company is registered?

We live in Texas. I'm not sure where Prudential's home office is.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Both policies were identical. And my sister got everything she was supposed to from Met Life. It was just my shares of Prudential that are in question.

3/6/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The policies should pass to the beneficiaries named under the policies. It need not be probated or even handled by the executor, as the insurer should remit to the beneficiary. If insurer fails to do so, a lawyer letter may prompt the payment.

The death benefit amount was paid to me. However, the shares she had purchased were not.

and were you named the beneficiary of the shares under the policy?

Am I entitled to the shares purchased through that policy? My sister had no trouble getting her shares from Met Life.

I see no reason why you would be treated any differently, and it may require a lawyer demand letter in the first instance.

My sister and I were just named on the policies, but my aunt's intentions were that we both get everything from them. She had no idea the shares wouldn't be included as part of the policy inheritance.

Based on intent and distribution to the sister, you have a case; and if not given on consent or lawyer demand, a local lawyer would sue to secure them!

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I have no idea what they would be worth. I'm sure a lawyer's fee would make retrieving them prohibitive and no worth the effort.
Acceptable.
A lawyer could pursue on contingency withiu advance fees!Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Attorney