Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad passed away December 19th, 2017. When I went to check…

My dad passed away December...
My dad passed away December 19th, 2017. When I went to check my mom's Bank of America account Friday night online her savings account was missing from the profile. I got to speak to someone the next day and they are saying the savings account was inly in my father's name. My parents were married for 59 years and everything is in both their names. They ar e telling me that for her to get her money we have to submit his death certificate and a form signed by a judge called an order of summary administration. My mom is almost 81 years old legally blind and on dialysis never mind has lost her husband of 59 years.. She doesn't need this added stress. Can they do this? I always thought all assets would go to the spouse.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney
If both names on account then passes automatically. If not then the instruction received is accurate - although with the same delayed outcome.To expedite, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
thank you.
Glad to hear it! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Attorney