Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can Medi-cal or Medicare or Hospital or nursing home go

Customer Question
after unpaid bills in a...
can Medi-cal or Medicare or Hospital or nursing home go after unpaid bills in a TOD brokerage account of beneficary in CAlifornia
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
2/6/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 5 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

No they cannot.These pass by contract under the TOD and not thru probate.So they cannot get at them here.They pass to the named beneficiary by contract and its your money at that point.They have no claim to it here under California law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

would you pleas provide link. As I am getting conflicting reading that it may not be the case -- if the TOD was established to prevent debt collection etc.

For Medi-Cal members who die on or after January 1, 2017: (See Changes to Estate Recovery effective January 1, 2017 due to Legislation SB 833)

http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/Pages/TPLRD_ER_cont.aspx

• Repayment will be limited only to estate assets subject to probate that were owned by the deceased member at the time of death.

• Repayment will be limited to payments made, including managed care premiums paid, for nursing facility services, home and community based services, and related hospital and prescription drug services received when the member was an inpatient in a nursing facility or received home and community based services.

what about the Hospital -- can the Hospital go after TOD?

No they cannot come after it here it passes straight to the person by contract.No creditor can touch it.