Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How does the executer of an estate have to finally settle…

How long does the executer...
How long does the executer of an estate have to finally settle the estate and what California code section covers the timeliness factor. My Father and step mother passed years ago and the executer is one of my step mothers children. Their home was sold over a year ago. We've had no information provided by the executor nor her attorney. Her attorney just tells us it will take another 30 to 60 days.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Your remedy here is to write the probate judge.You will need to call the court where the probate is filed, Superior Court in California.This has been too long ,not sure what the hold up is.I would write here and ask for a hearing and let the estate lawyer and executor explain it to the judge.Anything that drug on this long is too long.Normal pro0bate time is 6 moths to a year here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I hope you will write the judge, reference the case number, estate of ...

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Court contacts

http://www.courts.ca.gov/find-my-court.htm

Something like

Honorable ***** *****

Court

Address

Case Number:1234 Estate of ...

Dear Judge Smith ,

I am writing you about the unjustified delay in disbursing funds to the heirs of the above referenced estate................................................................................................................................

Sincerely yours,

Your name

Heir

Copy to Estate lawyer

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Is there an Estate code section that addresses time limits?