Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I have a trust document that I'm trying to understand and I…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a trust document that I'm trying to understand and I was wondering if I could get some quick help in interpreting it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The trust was established in KS. I own a property (owned by the trust in NY) and I currently live in Chicago, IL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean by that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I'm just trying to determine if I can sell the property - owned by the trust in my name - myself or if I need consent of the co-trustee.

1/19/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, thank you I will. So my family established a revocable trust in my name and I own a condo and other related properties (parking, storage within building) in brooklyn, NY. My father is a co-trustee. I am interested in selling the condo and I'd like to know if I'm able to make this decision on my own.

First, you need to read the trust document and see if there is a provision regarding whether co-trustees must act together or independently. If it states a trustee may act independently then you may sell the property with only your signature. One exception is the title company may require both signatures.

If your trust is silent on whether a trustee may act alone then you must have both trustees agree to the sale.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, I did read the agreement but I'm not sure I fully understand it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is there any chance you could quickly review it? I know you couldn't necessarily provide a comprehensive answer but you might be able to give me a high level overview.

I understand. Trusts can be fairly long with a lot of complicated sections.

I believe if you want a document review you must submit separately to Justanswer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, I've never used it before.

No problem. I believe you scan the document in and send it as an attachment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have it in pdf form. How long would it take to review it on average? several days?

Not at all. About an hour.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, Any estimate on the cost to do that?

I apologize I do not know what Justanswer charges for document reviews.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay, I will look into it. Thanks for your help.

No problem!

jb156200
jb156200, Attorney
Irwin Law
Phone call session started
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney