Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I filed a will for my father- in-law today. He passed last…

I filed a will...

I filed a will for my father- in-law today. He passed last week. what happens now. What do I need to do next??

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Brooksville florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only the will which I recorded at the courthouse today

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

thank you. ***** need to hire a attorney? How does the property pass to heirs?

You will need to make application to have it probated.The court will set a hearing on it and admit it to probate and appoint personal representative.

Under the court’s supervision, the personal representative gathers and inventories assets, pays debts and taxes, and (eventually) distributes what’s left to the people who inherit it. The personal representative must submit a final accounting to the court, showing what the estate contained, how the assets have been managed, and the plan for distributing them to beneficiaries. Anyone who objects to the accounting can object in court.

After everything has been distributed, the personal representative files evidence (receipts) with the court, and asks that the estate be closed. The court issues an order closing the estate and relieving the personal representative of further responsibilities. Typically, the whole process takes six months to a year.

You will need a lawyer here to open probate and prepare any deeds necessary to transfer title.

Lawyer Referral Service

Request A Referral Online 24/7

Phone(###) ###-####br />Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

I appreciate the chance to help you, so sorry for your loss here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Florida is one of the few states that sets out, in its statutes, lawyers’ fees that are presumed to be reasonable for estates of a certain value. (Fla. Stat. Ann. §(###) ###-####) The fee is based on the value of the assets that go through probate, plus any income they earn during the probate proceeding. The value of homestead property is not counted.

Here are the statutory fees:

• Value of estate up to $40,000: $1,500
  • $40,000 to $70,000: $2,250
  • $70,000 to $100,000: $3,000
  • $100,000 to $1 million: $3,000, plus 3% of the value over $100,000
  • $1 million to $3 million: $30,000, plus 2.5% of the value over $1 million
  • $3 million to $5 million: $50,000, plus 2% of the value above $3 million
  • $5 million to $10 million: $90,000, plus 1.5% on the value above $5 million
  • More than $10 million: $165,000, plus 1% of the value above $10 million

These fees are only for “ordinary” services. Anything the lawyer does that isn’t ordinary—for example, handling a will contest or giving tax advice—is presumed to justify a larger fee

Florida fiduciary deeds, the personal representative deeds it to heirs.

https://florida-fiduciary-deed.pdffiller.com/

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney