Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am one of the beneficiaries of my grandparents estate. In…

I am one of...

I am one of the beneficiaries of my grandparents estate. In the closing documents, my grandparents put in a paragraph regarding the trust for my aunt. It states that the bank which is currently the trustee, wants it moved to another financial institution. I have helped my aunt find another financial institution. But for three months, my grandparents attorney will not return a phone call or email from any of the beneficiaries or any of the financial institutions. Is there anything I can do to force his hand??

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is Iowa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

All the closing documents where filed in November 2017. I'm don't think any thing has been reported on the trust. It has not been invested, just sitting at the bank. They don't want it, so have done nothing with it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

1/16/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Who hired the attorney? Who exactly is he working for?

.

Who is the trustee of their trust?

.

.

thanks

The attorney was hired by my grandparents several years before they passed away. Now that the estates are closed and he has been paid, I'm not sure "who" he is working for? Sorry.
The trust was set up for my aunt. If she passes away, the funds are divided between her siblings and myself, since my mother has passed away, I now take her place in this estate. The trust is sitting at the home town bank.
The hometown bank has requested the trust be moved to another financial institution. They have not invested it. My grandparents attorney put in the closing documents that this needs to be done. But the attorney won't respond to email or phone call from the hometown bank or myself or my aunt.

Ok, for every trust, there is a "trustee" who is in charge of the trust and following whatever it says to do...

.

So if grandparents set up the trust, they are the grantors...aunt is the beneficiary... Who did they name to manage the trust after they died?

.

It should say in the actual trust who the trustee and any successor trustee is..

My grandparents named the hometown bank to manage the trust after they died.

Ok, so the bank is the trustee... if the attorney won't respond, the bank needs to hire another attorney to file a motion with the probate court to resign as trustee and appoint another trustee in the bank's place to manage the trust.

.

The attorney isn't really involved with this if he doesn't want to work for the trust anymore and the bank can just fire him..

.

So you, the bank or aunt just need to find another probate or trust law attorney to help filing the motion..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Okay thank you so much!!
Barrister, Attorney