Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Correct me if I am wrong. An Irrevocable Trust is created by…

Correct me if I am...
Correct me if I am wrong. An Irrevocable Trust is created by it's owner through the advice of an attorney. Another person can not create a Irrevocable trust for it's owner unless given the power of an attorney.
1/16/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. A person acting under a Durable Power of Attorney becomes the agent of the principal who appointed him or her. As agent, that person is what the law calls a “fiduciary.” This means that person has a duty to act in the highest good faith for the principal’s benefit. Unless the Power of Attorney specifically allows it, that person cannot use any of the property for that person's own benefit or do anything that isn't in the best interest of the principal. For example, unless the document specifically says so, that person may not set up an irrevocable trust for the principal and transfer the principal's assets to that trust. Also, that person can not sell any of the principal’s property to him or herself, his or her friends, or his or her relatives even at a fair price unless the Power of Attorney makes it clear that such is authorized.

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.