Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Would you please share a link or explain In simple terms,

what is the difference between...
Would you please share a link or explain In simple terms, what is the difference between a Living Will and a Living Trust?
Then my next question will ask, What is the difference between an
Irrevocable Trust and a Living Trust?
1/16/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure

Good morning. A living trust is a trust established to avoid the probate process. A living trust is revocable while the person that sets it up is still alive and the person's assets are transferred to the trust during life. Then, when the person dies, there is no need for probate because the trust, rather than the person, owns the assets and the trust agreement controls the dispostion. Thus, because the assets are owned by the trust at death, there are no assets owned by the individual and thus no need for going through the probate process.

A living trust is revocable while the person who sets it up is alive...which means that the person can amend the trust, terminate the trust, or move assets in and out of the trust at any time. When the person dies, the trust becomes irrevocable, meaning it can no longer be changed or terminated while there are assets are held by the trust.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Attorney