Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What true? Can I be a POA for my uncle concerning his life…

hi What true? Can I be...
hi
What true? Can I be a POA for my uncle concerning his life insurance policy. He took out on his brother. Someone said he can represent or attorney can represent him.Since I'm not attorney I can't do a POA. Do you have anything in writing that says I can represent him. Insurance didn't pay him
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Has your uncle signed a POA appointing you as his attorney in fact?

What is it you want to do?

no not yet. can i legally represent him with a POA
/

Represent him where? What is it you want to do, specifically?

My uncle took out a life insurance policy on his brother. Insurance stop taking payment out of his account in January 2011
said insufficient funds. Say they sent him a letter. I have his bank statement for 2012. They were taking money out direct deposit.Insurance company say they will research it and send my uncle a letter. The policy was taken out 2009 say the cancel it in 2011,
maybe tomorrow my uncle with get his 2011 bank statement. The stop taking money out in March 2012. I have to get all his bank statement.

Has the insurance company said that they will work with you if you provide a signed POA?

Why can your uncle not deal directly with the insurance co?

We haven't ask insurance company about a POA. It's not really necessary. It would be easier. My uncle not a good reader.
not really educated. Some people say only a licensed attorney can represent my uncle. Or he can represent himself.
My uncle also had over draft protection.

A POA allows you to act on behalf of another person and enter into certain agreements in their name, pursuant to the terms of the POA.

You can not appear for them in court, but otherwise, you can act on their behalf.

Some insurance companies are picky and insist that you use their POA forms.

Thank you. I wonder why the other attorney said that. I could not. What if I had an money agreement. A long time ago
I use to get people get their money from unclaimed property. I sent the state a POA and a payment agreement. paper document. The POA was notarized. Their Checks came directly to me. With their name on it. How did that end up happening?
a attorney did draft it up. How do I get my uncle check to come to my address. I'm dealing with family. I would like to treat the. Like my unclaimed property business

If he signs a POA acceptable to the insurance company then you can direct the check be sent anywhere you want.

last question please. What does the POA need to say. To have the heck directed to me

I would recommend asking the insurance company has a POA form your uncle can sign to allow you to deal with them on his behalf.

Otherwise, you can use the form at the following link:

ALABAMA POA

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney