Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My cousin died intestate in Mass.. I am the only living

Customer Question
My cousin died intestate...

My cousin died intestate in Mass.. I am the only living relatve and have been approved by Mass court as my cousin's personal representative (executor). He has a bank account at the TBank in mass. Could I open a estate account in his name and mine as executor

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Would I then be able to move my funds to the account?. Both accounts would be in Massachusets where I could dispence funds etc

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My lawyer in Mass arranged for me to be exsectutor adn i have the court apporved document

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/10/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes you really need an EIN number and open the estate account with you as executor.You will need the letters you were issued by the court and death certificate ad you can change the account.

You don't want to comingle the funds with yours at this point.There might be creditor claims,keep the funds separate in case you have to pay something.Estate account here is separate under separate EIN number until final accounting and disbursement to you.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

EIN number here

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online