Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

This NEVER went before a judge. In 1993 a will was written…

Customer Question
This NEVER went before...

This NEVER went before a judge. In 1993 a will was written stating my friends mom wishes when she passed. 1 1/2 years ago my friend (Sven) was accused of stealing from his mom. Sven, who cared for his mom dutifully for eleven years cooked, took her to church, paid all the property taxes and did everything for his mom BUT take anything from her. The sister who wouldn't even take to a wedding hours away, BUT WENT, didn't acknowledge her mom at the wedding. I witnessed this because Sven asked me to go to help with his elderly mom.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The state of Washington. The sister had her husband named executor of the estate she receives 50%, the husband 25% and her kids 25%. She told the nursing home to not let ANYONE she Svens mom. Not Sven, friends no-one. The estate was written in 1993 and she had a woman who suffers from possible dementia and Alzheimer.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

In regards ***** ***** mental state?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is rather large estate and the sister stated under oath and in emails that I have that her moms mental health was in question. This should have been put before a third party advocate appointed by a court and never was. Sven spend $150,000 defending himself and just gave up.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/6/2018
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question for us, since Sven already has an attorney and Sven gave all of this up?

Sven signed something that says he cant discuss the matter to anyone. That sounds lame as well.

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds like Sven signed a "settlement agreement" which has a confidentiality clause saying that he settled the case and he cannot discuss the terms of settlement with anyone. If he did sign something like that, the matter is over and there is nothing else he can do.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I need advice on the law in regards ***** ***** seeking a probate case on behalf of Svens mom. I intend on suing the sister and brother-in-law for lying under oath. Fraud and elder imprisonment. Her and her husband conned Svens mom out of her money. As know that as long as the mom is living than there is a chance of a probate judge looking into this situation.

Thank you for your reply.

You cannot seek probate on behalf of Sven's mom. You are not an heir and you are not a party who has standing. Sven or you can get a local attorney for Sven's mom and the attorney can pursue them on her behalf, but you do not have legal standing to do anything more than get his mom an attorney. The attorney could reverse the changes she and her husband made if they find they were made through undue influence and fraud as you allege.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney