Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am a recipient of a revocable land trust. There was an…

Customer Question
I am a recipient...

I am a recipient of a revocable land trust. There was an amendment put on the Land Trust

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

It is in Illinois. My question is that the amendment was executed on July 14, 2015 but was notarized on April 7, 2015. is this a legal document

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The Land trust owner just passed away and the papers were sent to the state.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know if it is legal to have a signature stating that the amendments will be executed on July 14, 2015, but was notarized on April 7, 2015

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If there is a discrepancy in the execution of the amendment and the required notary then that would make the amendment vulnerable to attack and call into question its validity.

At the very least, the probate court would want the notary to testify as to what is the reason for the discrepancy. That is a basic reason for having a notary.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!