Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My mother passed in 2013. My sister was administrator of her…

Customer Question
My mother passed in...

My mother passed in 2013. My sister was administrator of her Will and just concluded probate. I have multiple emails from my mother regarding she lost her bonds, did not know the serial numbers, and had not sent the form 1048 to the Treasury to replace them. My mother also did not know, according to her writings of the total value of her bonds. The executor (sister) deducted $60,000 worth of bonds out of my inheritance that she claimed I "have" or "takings" was she has described. She has not and will not provide any information she should have retrieved from the U.S. Treasury to clear up this matter. I highly suspect that my sister did contact the Treasury, received replacement bonds and cashed them but did not enter those amounts as assets in my mothers estate. The Treasury cannot provide any information about bonds to me because I'm not the executor....but they said I could file a civil law suit against my sister/administrator. Can I? How? I live in Washington State in King County. Thank you...Renae Roberson

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I just did....Washington State King County

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Only the Net Worth Statement provided by the executor and final Decree of Distribution of the estate of my mother provided in court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that her claims are totally false....that I have NOT "taken" or stolen these bonds, there is no judgment against me nor has one ever been filed and I need my name cleared AND want the $60,000 value of the bonds dispersed back into the estate as I am an heir.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
1/4/2018
Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It sounds like the estate is closed from what you mention. That's okay but I must ask why you did not seek a judicial accounting when the estate was open and address this issue. Did you ever petition the court for an accounting? You say you had a net worth statement. Did you ever object to it?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney