Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband passed away Feb. 5th Kia motors will not put his…

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away Feb. 5th Kia motors will not put his car in my name. Do I still have to make payments on a car I can not drive?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Alabama its a 2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not think so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wat to know about the car. Thank You.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/3/2018
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. There are a couple of ways you can do this. The first is to contact the leaders at the dealership and ask them what their policy is to have the vehicle transferred into your name upon death. They may require a death certificate and a marriage certificate. If they require more, it's usually court orders that they would require.

This means that you would have to file with the probate court to become the executor of the estate, which gives you authority to move property into your name from his. I'm very sorry for your loss, but those are going to be your two best options.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

can I just quit paying for t. Let them come and get it?

That is definitely one option. The best part is that they cannot come after you personally for the loan, either, as they would have to go after your husband's estate for the payment. They may try to sue to get access, but many times, when people pass away, most companies just write off the balance as bad debt which is tax deductible. Did you have any other questions for me regarding this?