Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Mortgaged Property owner is dead. His wife still lives in…

Customer Question
Mortgaged Property owner is...

Mortgaged Property owner is dead. His wife still lives in the trailer, which is falling apart before our eyes. He died in 8/17. Her name is ***** ***** the mortgage. Can she abandon this property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I'm not sure what you mean or what type.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is an immediate problem.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/3/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Her name is ***** ***** the mortgage. Can she abandon this property?

.

Legally yes, if she is not on the mortgage, then the mortgage holder can only look to his estate for payment. And if there is no probate case filed and no money in any estate, then the mortgage holder is just going to get stuck with the bill here.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much