Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How do I know if the will is the latest version? we found a…

Customer Question
How do I know...

How do I know if the will is the latest version? we found a copy of one, but it doesn't match what we were told, should there be one on file somewhere?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

A copy drawn up by a local attorney

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/3/2018
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. So, generally the best way to make sure that the will is valid is to look to see the date of the witness signatures on the will. If there are witnesses, you should contact them and just confirm that they signed the will on the date they said. If there is concern regarding the validity of the will, then I would strongly recommend that you file for probate, which determines the validity of the will officially. Once the probate court is satisfied, that is going to be the latest version of the will.

In the interim, contact the attorney to see if there were any other wills created and search through the documents of the deceased as a way to satisfy your curiosity there.

What other questions did you have for me today?