Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother died leaving nursing home debt of $40000. Am I…

Customer Question
My brother died leaving...

My brother died leaving nursing home debt of $40000. Am I responsible as he left no will. He has no assets.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Bills. I had power of atty over him

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Your brother’s debts are not your debts, even if you had power of attorney.You must likely did not sign any contracts personally obligating you for any of his debts. As a result, you are not liable for his debts.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars
In addition, you have no legal obligation to turn over any information to any third party and do not sign anything further without discussing such matters with an attorney.

If you have any additional questions, please just ask.