Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

What can I sue for. My estranged sister, who has been out of…

Customer Question
What can I sue...

What can I sue for. My estranged sister, who has been out of our familys lives for 8+ years, who never even came to my mothers funeral. Swooped in and brainwashed dad in to thinking my brother and I stole from him. costing him over 50,000 in lawyers fees etc. got him to change the will giving her family 80 percent of everything.( she was no even in the will mom and dad set up years ago) Cutting my brother and I out of everything. She and her husband talked this 91 year old man in to giving them gaurdenship, I took care of my parents for 8 years now I can't even see him, without the person my sister hired being in the room and pretty much forcing me out the door. They will not even let my brother see him at all. my father was a millionaire my sister and brother in law are multi millioniares. My brother and I are broke because of frivolous law suits they put against us in dads name. The suits have all been dealt with, nothing happened except leaving my brother and I broke. we have no money to fight her. How can a lawyer make money by sueing them for what they have done. Dad is still alive, he is blind and has mild demencia. What can we do. Again my sister and her husband are multi millioniares, they have done this many times before to his side of the family. this is my first rodeo.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the original will, where she is not named at all in it. I have a police report when my dads house got robbed for 40,000.00 cash (my brother and I were with my father at the time) which says the only one who saw the money was my sister who "BROKE" in 2 days before. In that police report it sates state that my father said he was closest to me...yet 57 days after that the will was changed giving them 80 percent of everything and a 700,000. trust was given to my sisters husband

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is just a small base of what I have in paper work. the way my sister made my brother and I go broke, where we had to mortage our homes etc. Was she used my dads money to put charges against my brother over 40 charges saying he stole from my father( nothing came of it, it was dismissed, after costing my brother over 40,000 in lawyers) hey put my house who was in my moms name (transferred to dad after moms passing) even know they knew it was my house, they put it up for sale costing me every dime I had to get my house back. they would not let me collect the rent from the house,(took away my managerial rights till the case was settled, which took 2+ years) paid no bills so now I got my house back but it is in tax lean, I don't know it I can save it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/3/2018
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Anything your father signed as a result of undue influence would not hold up in court. Have you contacted adult protective services to report the financial exploitation?
No, not yet. I contacted social services because I found out last week, my sister who is a multimillionaire is on welfare. My question is important since I have a appointment with a lawyer tonight at 5pm. This may be my 1 chance to get a lawyer on condingency. My question is How can this lawyer make MONEY by suing my sister
My sister is wealthy. There has to be something my sister and her husband can be sued for doing all this to my brother and I though manipulating my father. We have proof he had mild dementia before they started this. Also my father was very distrout after losing his wife (my mother) after almost 70yrs of mstrage. I need a answer of how this lawyer can make money from this suit. My brother and I have no money to pay him upfront. This is his big question, HOW can he make money off taking this case.
You should not be paying an attorney. This is a criminal matter. This is the financial exploitation of an elderly person. Law enforcement bring these actions on behalf of the State. Attorneys take contingency fees on personal injury cases as a general rule. Those are civil actions your sister is guilty of a crime and could be required to repay amounts she has stolen. You want to file a criminal complaint and report this as financial exploitation.
I did make a report with the local polive dept. As to what my sister has been doing and over 200,000. +++Plus of antiques and jewelry my sister removed from my father's house(my father is blind he can not see, she n her husband took all the antique pictures etc off the wall, replacing them with junk pictures from a good will or something) they also took over 75,000. Worth of my stuff that I had put in my dad's home, because I was going to move in with him. I reported it made out a report with just 3 pages of stuff I was sure was missing (about 150,000. Worth of stuff) and the police said they could do nothing it was a civil matter. (I have what the cops told me on tape) what can my sister be sued for in damages to me? All the money it cost me for the lawyer to get my house back?even though I settled? All the rent she took from the property (over 2 years at 2400.oo a month plus making me close my business for that time, business is on that property )I really owned. All the emotional damage she has done to me? What can this lawyer sue for so he makes money, at this point I don't care if the lawyer takes 50% or more. Just what can he sue for?
This is a criminal matter you want to be speak to the prosecutor in the county where the criminal exploitation took place. Private attorneys handle civil matters this is criminal.
The other action you have is personal injury. You would sue for intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit from the site for my work I would appreciate it You should see the rating scale at the top of the page on your end, 5 stars. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Thank you for using JA!

Did you get my message of bringing a criminal complaint and suing for intentional infliction of emotional distress. You can also sue for a quiet title action to get the home back.

Are you online with me?

How do I find out about where to get a prosicuter, I called court house and get the run around. I started with local police and went up from there, no help to how to get them. My father lives in Middlesex county nj

If law enforcement will not help, which is sometimes the case we would handle this as a civil matter and you would hire an Attorney to sue her under tort law. For example, intentional infliction of emotional distress. You can also bring a civil action with regard to the use of undue influence over your father.

Would you like a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations?

I would also report this to adult protective services if you have not done so already.

"If you are aware of or suspect abuse, neglect or financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult living in Middlesex County, please call APS at(###) ###-####" http://fcsmonmouth.org/what-we-do/adult-protective-services/

"Reporting suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of a vulnerable adult living in the community to APS is voluntary in New Jersey. If a report is made, it will generally contain the name and address of the vulnerable adult the name and address of the caretaker, if any, the nature and possible extent of the vulnerable adult’s injury or condition as a result of abuse, neglect or exploitation; and any other information that the person making the report believes may be helpful. A person who makes a report to APS, provides information regarding abuse of a vulnerable adult, or testifies at a proceeding, is granted immunity, unless he or she is acting in bad faith or with malice.

Once contacted an investigation will be initiated within 72 hours. A face to face meeting with the alleged vulnerable person will be conducted by a trained social worker. This interview is private and confidential. They will create a preliminary assessment and opinion on whether the person does or does not have sufficient understanding and/or capacity to make, communicate or carry out decisions concerning his or her well being because of a physical or mental illness, disability and is the likely subject of abuse, neglect or exploitation." https://www.elderabuseinnj.com/nj-elder-abuse-laws/#.Wl5a1a6nFEY

Elder Law Attorneys that provide FREE consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/elder-law/middlesex-county/new-jersey

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars? Thank you for your consideration.
I saw a lawyer today and he did not want to even see or hear anything till I gave him 5000.oo. he was a ass said his free consultation was 5 minutes, what a waste of time and gas. 2 things I need help with. #1 How to I contact the prosicuters office in Middlesex county nj and #2 he said I should get a young lawyer just starting to handle the case. How can I find out new lawyers who passed the bar in NJ in the last year, 2 years etc.
I can not rate you yet, but it will be the highest I can give. If I rate you now the session is over, that is what it reads on my side.

You can contact the State Bar Association. https://tcms.njsba.com/PersonifyEbusiness/default.aspx

Thank you for using JA.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney