Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I recently applied for a Visa credit card through US Bank. I…

Customer Question
I recently applied for a...
I recently applied for a Visa credit card through US Bank. I was granted guardianship of my sister. When I was given the guardian by the court, and the judge asked if I knew anything concerning business. I said no question, but I did know that she had money in two banks. I didn't know anything about the status. I thought that I was the beneficiary of both accounts. Well, it turned out that I was the beneficiary of one bank (saving account) for sure, but then I had to make several trips back and forth, and the landlord was asking for payment, so, I went into the bank that had the smallest amount. I though it was really small (less than $8, 000). I knew in the saving, there was a lot ($85, 000). Later, I applied for a Visa through US Bank. I didn't know the affiliation of this bank to the Visa. However, I was granted the card. So I went on-line to find out how to pay the monthly payments, then I was asked if I won't to do translation online. I said ok, then it gave me an account number, along with the total amount. I also fainted. It was $35,000. But then I asked myself why so much. I was told by her friend that this was the small one. So know I am wondering what to do. The lawyer recently sent me a form for the EIN for the large bank, so that I could start writing check to pay another lawyer and the nursing home. He asked me about finding a nursing home to send her at home in Mississippi. She is currently at the nursing home or rehab in Illinois. I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 2 days by:
1/5/2018
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Were you appointed guardian in Illinois?

I am not sure I understand why the judge is suggesting Mississippi?