Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I am living i a house which belonged to an uncle that has…

Customer Question
I am living i...

I am living i a house which belonged to an uncle that has passed and have been payin the property taxes

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I cousin who is the escex for his will does nothing to resolves the properties here in FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was given permission to live here and as I said I am paying the taxes do I have any legal rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess that it is

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
1/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Assuming you do not have a written agreement to occupy the premises, you have the legal status and rights of a month to month tenant. This is true whether you actually are required to pay rent or not.

As such, you or the landlord (currently, the estate) may terminate the tenancy on 15 days notice.

If you refuse to leave at the end of the notice period then the landlord must file for eviction and can also seek other damages for your failure to leave.

You can try contacting you cousin to see if they will agree to extend your tenancy or even enter into a new lease. Otherwise, they are within your rights to demand you leave and evict you if you do not.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney