Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I have a condo with my name and wife in title, ten years ago…

Customer Question
I have a condo...

I have a condo with my name and wife in title, ten years ago I added my parents in grand deed without update title, we do the no money transaction in escrow. Now my father passes away, I would like to take away my mom's name from grand deed with quick claim deed and will do the no money transaction in escrow. It will be myself and my wife in grand seed and title. To do this, would it impact my mom's Medicaid benefit? Would they take away Medicaid? Thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Mom told Medicaid she own half of the house

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
1/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Loren, Attorney

It is too late. There is a 5 yr look back for eligibility.

In other words, to meet the asset limitations, they will add back the value of any assets gifted in the 60 months prior to the application.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even though no money involved, they still have to pay back half of the cond value. You mean my mom will be out the medicaid for five years, even she has no money in her pocket.

You can appeal the lookback and present evidence that no benefit was received for the condo, but this is a problem that you will need to address.

You may need an attorney in your area who specializes in medicaid issues to help unravel this.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Did you have any further questions?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney