Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have not received my social security check for my deceased…

Customer Question
I have not received my...
I have not received my social security check for my deceased wife since Aug.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Let me clarify, you notified them of her death and they stopped the checks, is that correct, what is your question here again,thanks want to help you .

you are correct.
her social security number is###-##-####

Here you only get a one time death benefit of $255 and then the higher of the you or your spouses check,You don't get both here.

Reference

A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements. Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when they died. ... became eligible for benefits upon the worker's death.

Survivors Planner: A Special Lump-Sum Death ... - Social Security

I am so sorry for your loss of spouse.You will only get the one time death benefit and the higher you yours or your spouses check, not both.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Prayers to you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney