Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Myself and my brother are POA OVER MY Mom ( Dad passed

Myself and my brother...

Myself and my brother are POA OVER MY Mom ( Dad passed 2months ago) there checking acct shows POD to my brother and I. The rest of parents assets are in a trust which we are POA over also. Does the money in bank acct have to be divided in trust even though it was PoD by parents to my brother and I? Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Trust has been with their Attorney. The POD is on their bank acct.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Everything is left to my Mother now. I have been caregiver to my parents. I am doing so for my Mom also

1/2/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Money held in a POD account would pass directly to the beneficiaries named on the account.

Suppose our siblings dispute this? My parents arranged this years ago because myself and brother stayed to help on the Ranch .. the others never helped with our parents. Now since Dad has passed they want everything..

The bank has to process it per the terms of the account. I do not see basis for a dispute.

The only way it could reasonably be contested is if one claims the POD beneficiary designations were done under duress or fraud.

Kindly let me know if my replies are clear and acceptable by responding "acceptable"

Infolawyer, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
No need to call .. satisfied with answer . Thanks very much

Thanks.