Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

When is a probate necessary in CA

Customer Question
When is a probate necessary in CA
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. A bonus or "tip" is, of course, appreciated but neither required nor expected. Regardless, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

In California, estates that are valued at more than $150,000 (including only probate assets) generally have to be probated. In addition, if a bequest is made to a charity, or if the will creates a trust it would have to be probated.

It can also be required to be probated if a potential heir is contesting any provisions in the will.

However, the provision that is most seen is when the person owned $150,000 before death.

I will be signing off in just a little while but will be back on tomorrow.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney