Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Mom died last April. She had no will. She let all my

Customer Question
My Mom died last...

My Mom died last April. She had no will. She let all my siblings know I was to inherit house. I was her sole caretaker for 8 years and this was in return for that plus all the money I put into her house to make it livable. Now my siblings say no it’s not mine. Do I have any rights in this matter? I would do it again but i put about 15000$ into her house and 8 years 24/7 as caretaker. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

There was only verbal. And many heard it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
1/2/2018
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

So, to be clear, she didn't leave the property to you in a will, a trust, any kind of a contract, or a writing of any sort, corect?

Correct

Then, unfortunately, under a concept of law called the "Statue of Frauds" the real estate and house would not pass to you. Any contract or mechanism whereby real property is transferred MUST be in writing.

You would likely have a claim under an equitable theory for the work you put in on the estate and for your mother but you would need a lawyer to help you make that claim effectively. It is possible that the value of the services is enough to offset the value of he house and so you might be able to get it that way but you need to hire a lawyer that does probate work, you can find one at www.lawyers.com. You will want to hire one soon so they can file an appearance and make your claims known.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. A bonus or "tip" is, of course, appreciated but neither required nor expected. Regardless, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

I will be signing off in just a little while but will be back on tomorrow.