Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad passed away, he had as his financial advisors. My…

Customer Question
My dad passed away...

My dad passed away, he had ***** ***** as his financial advisors. My eldest sister has been chosen to be the executor of the will. We contacted ***** ***** and they told us that my sister is the beneficiary as well as the executor. They also said that after i receive my inheritance, the money I receive is mine to do with as I wish. I;m confused as to why I wasn't listed as a beneficiary also.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a communication via e-mail from ***** ***** stating thatmy sister is the beneficiary and also the executor of all of my Dads accounts with them,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wondering why my brother and I are not listed as beneficaries?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Here your dad had to complete a beneficiary form.He apparently named the sister as beneficiary.Under Pa law this is a contract the money passes outside of probate to her directly.You are entitled to half the estate assets here, but this was not not an estate asset but a contract.It passes directly under those terms .Please don't shoot the messenger.

I appreciate the chance to help you .I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Happy New Year let me know if you have more,thanks for rating.