Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father died March 29 2017. He had a will and a living…

Customer Question
My father died March...

My father died March 29 2017. He had a will and a living trust, both drawn up in Polk county. The will and trust name each of his ten children as descendants. Both documents make general provisions for minors or incapacitAted. I am disabled, 55, with no college degree or retirement account. He revised the living trust the day after he married wife number 6, two days before heart surgery; the revision says she gets all 20 million in the Roth ITA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

There are three minor children that have gone without support. We are being told we have all been disinherited. On his deathbed he signed another paper basically saying the Will stood, his signature is a scribble. The minor children all went to private schools and lived very well. The widow has helped them, if not they would be in the street like I am about to be. I was not served a copy of the will until 2 months ago. Do I have grounds to contest it? They have given us no financial accounting; his second to last wife did financial discovery for their divorce and claims there was 300 million in the estate. My father told me it cost one million dollars to operate each home. One was on fisher island where Rodins Great Thinker sat on the patio. The representative says there is no money, that my Dad said many things that were not true. This is not logical.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have texts from him telling me I’ll have to wait until he is home to get more shares in my trust.... he bribed the best private schools to get the minor children into; clearly his intent was not to leave them disinheeited

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a copy of the trust and the will

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/31/2017
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question.

For a Will or Trust or any estate documents to be valid they must be signed by a person that is of sound mind. You mention a will and a living trust. Please bear with me I am trying to ascertain what was signed on his deathbed?

Disinheriting a child or children in Florida requires a vert specific procedure. Since you are an heir regardless of the claim that you were disinherited you are absolutely entitled to see if there is proof and if the proof is legally valid. http://karplaw.blogspot.com/2013/02/can-you-disinherit-adult-child.html

Are you online with me?

It does not appear that you are online.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney