Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

In ga when a simple probate is filed (no will) and you owe…

Customer Question
In ga when a...

In ga when a simple probate is filed (no will) and you owe irs will that affect the probate

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does the probate court report the petition to the irs

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/31/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

in ga when a simple probate is filed (no will) and you owe irs will that affect the probate
.

Are you referring to the deceased owing the IRS, or a beneficiary owing the IRS?

.

.

thanks

both

If the deceased owed the IRS, then the executor has a legal obligation to pay all debts before any beneficiaries get anything. So the deceased's IRS debt would be paid by the executor..

.

As for a beneficiary, no one notifies the IRS that a person is an heir... But if they found out somehow, they could put a freeze on the disbursement with the executor and intercept that money to go towards the debt..

.

.

thanks