Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My father-in-law passed away 12/15. there is no will that…

Customer Question
My father-in-law passed away...

My father-in-law passed away 12/15. there is no will that anyone knows of. His second wife is trying to get my wife and her sister to sign some kind of paper that she referred to as something Jeffersonian. My wife is not signing anything without an attorney. Does she need a probate lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I know she has tried to get his truck, boat and house turned over into her name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We think she is trying to liquidate his assets before my wife and sister-in-law can lay claim to anything. And, there are no other children involved

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
12/30/2017
Estate Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Bruce Schreiber

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am reviewing your question & will be with you shortly.

Certainly it would be unwise to sign anything absent legal advice. That characterization of "jeffersonian" has no meaning to me. Can you tell me more about the nature or terms of the document?

Do you have further questions?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney