Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I sent this question earlier in the week and have not heard…

Customer Question
I sent this question earlier...
I sent this question earlier in the week and have not heard back, in fact, I can't find it in "my questions". Odd, I did have a reply when I sent this that your system was down to try back... anyway, I live in CA and want to put together a living trust. I tried a local person and felt they were charging a lot of money for finding an online "form" that I could do myself.
What do I need to create one on my own or, what help can your group provide> Thanks, Dennis
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/30/2017
Estate Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is an educational site. We can help explain how the living trust works and answer your question in regard to completing the forms.

The primary purpose of the Trust to avoid the time and expense of probate. The first thing that you need to determine is whether or not you actually need a Trust.

There are many other ways to avoid probating property, and many assets do not pass through your estate. For example IRAs and retirement plans provide for a named beneficiary. That type of property does not go through probate. Also if you are married much of your property can be titled as Joint Tenancy in by the Entireties. This property does not get probated either. Also you need to know when you transfer real estate into a trust you may have to pay transfer taxes.

Another consideration is the size of your estate. A small estate ($100,000.00 or less) probably does not need a Tryst because the probate process for small estate's is stream lined.

Take a look at this article. It has very useful information in it.

Please let me know what specific additional questions you have about this.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Free-Legal-Information/Legal-Guides/Living-Trust

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer