Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father died 30 yrs. ago and last year I put his estate in…

Customer Question
Hello, My father died...

Hello, My father died 30 yrs. ago and last year I put his estate in probate in order to sale his house. There was no monies in estate bank account. According to IRS I owe $11, 000 in penalties/interest because I failed to file a estate tax for 2016. The house was on the market for 1 year. How do I explain the matter to IRS to avoid paying penalties and interest?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Hello, My father died 30 yrs. ago and last year I put his estate in probate in order to sale his house. There was no monies in estate bank account. According to IRS I owe $11, 000 in penalties/interest because I failed to file a estate tax for 2016. The house was on the market for 1 year. How do I explain the matter to IRS to avoid paying penalties and interest

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I am the personal rep for the estate so I have all of the courts documents.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I paid the capital gains tax for Federal return

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/30/2017
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 6 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed probate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 6 months ago

First do you have an attorney or a cpa who prepared the taxes?

Hi Jessica,Yes, but if I use them to prepare a response to the IRS it will cost me. So I'm doing it myself.
Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Hi Jessica:

I see that you opted out the previous expertAre you still interested in a discussion of your IRS situation here.