Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

I have a will that my common law boyfriend is leaving

Customer Question
I have a will...

I have a will that my common law boyfriend is leaving property for me will i have to go to probate court l

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the will that he had done back in 1998

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We live together now and he purschase another house in 2006 where we live now and he is still paying for it his name is ***** ***** name on it but we had it built and moved in together as husband and wife but never married

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: jb156200, Attorney replied 1 month ago
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you.

When an individual owns assets in their sole name, on their date of death, those assets will be governed by the decedent's Will. The Will is submitted to the court and a probate will be opened to administer the assets pursuant to the Will.

Not all assets must go through probate. Only assets in the decedent's sole name. For example, life insurance with a designated beneficiary is paid directly to the beneficiary and does not go through probate.

Since the Will was done in 1998, I highly advise a new Will be done. It is almost 20 years old, and although it is still valid, it is very stale.

The only way to avoid probate is to have the assets owned in joint name or to name you as a beneficiary.

Has this information been helpful? Do you need any clarification or have an additional question?

jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney