Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband passed away last month. If he had a will leaving…

Customer Question
My husband passed away...

My husband passed away last month. If he had a will leaving everything to me, do I have to go thru probate in Boise, Idaho?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have his will and death certificate?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry for your loss.

There are a few requirements that determine whether an estate needs to be formally probated:

1. Did your husband own real estate? If so, were you listed on the title as tenants by the entireties or joint tenants?

2. Are there any assets listed in his name only?

3. What is the (estimated) total value of those assets?