Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

A single brother of mine dies and leaves a large checking…

Customer Question
A single brother of...

A single brother of mine dies and leaves a large checking account which a niece claims she paid the funeral expense from a portion of the account and now wants to be repaid from his other assets. The niece and my brother's names were on the checking account. He had a total of 4 siblings.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

A list of assets supplied by the petitioner and a petition to extend time for final filing by the court of Duval county.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My brother died in April, 2016 and the Final accounting and a petition for discharge was to be completed by December 31,2017. My brother had no will.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Are you asking if the niece has a claim against the estate for the funeral costs she paid, even though paid from a joint account?

No I rather get your answer by E-mail.

Thank you for the additional information.

Actually, she does have a valid claim against the estate.

The funeral expenses are a priority claim.

The money used to pay the cost was your niece's money and became hers automatically as the surviving owner of the joint account.

So, she did pay for the funeral out her personal funds and is entitled to reimbursement from the estate.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!