Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My ex-husband now deceased sold me a 10 acre plot on the…

Customer Question
My ex-husband now deceased...

My ex-husband now deceased sold me a 10 acre plot on the homestead he was awarded in a divorce. I have been unable to find proof that he removed his name from deed. Now his daughter who was willed the house is selling it & wants me to sign a quit claim deed relinquishing all rights to all the property. Am I legally bound to sign it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what for instance?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am unable to trust my stepdaughter to do the right thing. I have already been taken advantage of regarding other assets

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/28/2017
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

No, you are not bound to sign the quit claim, but if you are alleging ownership you would bear the burden of proving he sold you the land on the homestead. You have a right to fight for your rights to remain on the property if you bought the property or were given the property from your deceased ex husband.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.